Makes 18 fried goat cheese balls
What: Delicious balls of molten BLUEBELL FALLS ORIGINAL Goats cheese, sweetened with honey.
How: Roll balls of goat cheese through seasoned flour and batter, deep fry each, then top with honey for an appetiser that’s much more impressive for little effort in the making.
Why we love it: These aren’t your run of the mill fried cheese appetisers. While cheese balls can be overwhelming, the light, crunchy crust, as well as the honey and pepper, balances the tangy goat cheese.
420g Bluebell Falls Original Goats Cheese
3 cups flour, divided
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 ½ teaspoons salt, divided
4 tablespoons honey, divided
2 ¼ cups very cold soda water
finely ground black pepper
8 cups Vegetable oil, for frying
NOTE: fresh Bluebell Falls Original Goat Cheese, use cold – the dryer the better!
1. To make the batter, sift 2 cups of flour and baking powder into a large mixing bowl. Stir in 1 teaspoon salt and 2 tablespoons honey. Whisk in the soda water until the batter is smooth. Keep refrigerated until ready to use – the batter needs to stay as cold as possible until ready to fry.
2. Prepare the seasoned flour, combine the remaining 1 cup of flour, ½ teaspoon salt, and a pinch of finely ground black pepper in a shallow bowl or plate. Leave standing.
3. Slice each log into 6 pieces and Roll the Goats Cheese into 18 ball shapes using the palm of your hand. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
4. In a deep fat fryer, heat the vegetable oil to 375º F. Roll the chilled goats cheese balls in the seasoned flour. Shake off any excess flour, then roll the balls into the batter a few at a time, making sure to fully cover the cheese ball. Remove them one or two at a time and carefully drop them into the oil, using a slotted spoon to move them around so they don’t stick to each other or the fryer. Cook until golden brown, about 45 seconds to 1 minute. Using a slotted spoon or strainer, carefully remove the goat cheese from the fryer and drain on a cooling rack or paper towel.
5. Place the fried Bluebell Falls goats cheese balls onto a warm plate. Drizzle with the remaining 2 tablespoons of honey.
Serve immediately. ENJOY!